A Teeth whitening treatment is a perfect way to achieve a bright smile and an enhanced self-confidence. However, achieving the best outcome and ensuring the longevity of the treatment can sometimes be difficult. One of the most common mistakes people make is the food they eat post-treatment that reactivates stained teeth. Here are our tips and tricks to making the most out of your teeth whitening treatment.
Foods to avoid
Achieving the best outcome and ensuring the longevity of your teeth whitening treatment means watching the food you eat – especially within a 24-hour to 72-hour period post-treatment. To prevent stained teeth, foods to avoid include:
- Sugary foods: Sugary foods can trigger decay-causing bacteria – causing possible staining and tooth irritation. Food items include cakes, ice cream and cookies.
- Dark liquids: Consumables such as coffee and red wine will make your teeth whitening treatment ineffective – this includes other strong dark liquids such as tea, cola and tomato juice.
- Soft drink & alcohol: Alcohol and high acidic drinks such as soft drinks and juices should generally be avoided post-treatment as well.
- Natural & added colourant foods: Soy sauce, ketchup, steak and bologna should all be avoided.
Foods to have
It may seem that your options are limited in order to achieve the best outcome for your teeth whitening treatment, but in reality there is a variety of different foods you can enjoy without the dread of stained teeth. Including:
- White meat: Foods such as skinless chicken or turkey and white fishare perfect – just avoid strong spices and high amounts of fats.
- Egg white: Just remember to ditch the yoke.
- Milk: Try to keep it skimmed or low fat, or even try alternative milk options.
- Light coloured vegetables: Mashed, boiled or sliced potatoes, cauliflower, white onions – stick to the lighter coloured vegies.
- White rice, pasta & bread: Try to only eat these in limited amounts – excess carbs can cause cavities.
Additional tips and tricks
After you have received teeth whitening treatment, it is recommended to uphold the basics to taking care of your oral hygiene and prevent stained teeth. For the best results and continued oral health, try following these tasks:
- Brush your teeth twice a day, if not three times. You should brush gently and thoroughly for a full two minutes each time, ensuring you brush every tooth surface.
- Floss each day. You only have to do it once, and it is crucial for removing plaque that brushing cannot reach.
- Drink all the water you can. This is a perfect way to ensure adequate saliva production.
- Watch what you eat. Ensure that the majority of foods you eat are rich in lean protein, calcium, vitamins and minerals.
Top tip: Visit your dentist regularly
One of the most effective, if not the most effective, way to maintain a bright and white teeth smile is to regularly visit your dentist. Regular check-ups – definitely at least once a year – are crucial for controlling plaque and catching any oral health concerns before they turn into something major.
The Carine Glades Dental Care team are experts in professional teeth whitening treatment and preventative dental care – including stained teeth. Contact the team today on (08) 9448 3922 to book an appointment.